We are working with our client based in Aberdeen who is a Subsea contractor to the Oil and Gas Industry to source a Control Systems Manager.
This role is permanent
• To service manage control system technology to the company fleet and connected assets.
• To design justified long term control system strategy for company. Develop ‘best in class’ control system policy and procedures that complements industry best practice recognized applicable standards and mitigates operational safety risks.
• Build relationships with senior management to ensure control system strategy is respected at the earliest stages of new asset build projects and managing obsolescence.
• Serve all departments by effectively developing and managing a competent technical support team for 24hour on call functionality.
• Confidently operate in a cost conscious environment, supporting senior management make timely calculated and informed decisions on control system technology investment, maintenance, vendor relationship and safety mitigation measures.
• To take the lead in understanding business needs and translating them into control system requirements.
• Facilitate regular Control System Service Delivery meetings with departments to address pertinent operational issues and educate colleagues on forthcoming changes / risks
• Identify areas for technological innovation and opportunity and propose to Senior Management Manage control system technology ‘projects’ as needed across the business Reporting lines and interactions:
• Hierarchically reports to: Asset Operations Director
• Operationally reports to: Asset Managers, Remote Intervention & Equipment Services Director, Offshore Base Manager
• Directly supervises: Control System Superintendent, Control System Engineer(S), E&I Systems Superintendent Key interactions (internally, externally): Asset Managers, RIS Technical Manager, Base Manager, Engineering Manager, IT Infrastructure Manager, Subsea Vessels IT Team (SEVS) Group strategy team & New Builds, Fleet Projects All existing external control system service providers Typical background and experience required:
• Related Engineering degree: Electrical, Electronic, PLC Automation , Controls, Computer Science
• Commercial Engineering experience in heavy industries such as power plants, energy, aerospace, Oil &Gas, military, or automotive industry.
• Interfacing with technical suppliers, specialist consultants
• Interfacing with standard large company departments, Operations, QHSE, Contracts, Commercial etc
• Experience of solving challenging control and automation problems.
• Experience of working with Project teams and an understanding of the project management process
• Experience of producing software for PLC based control systems.
• Experience of commissioning PLC based control systems in remote environments yards/vessels.
• Experience of leading teams of control system engineers.
• Experience of working in an ISO9001 environment and specific awareness of subject related standards including IEC 61508, IEC 61131, IEC 61511
• Have experience of working with corporate libraries and source code.
• Familiarity with various PLC systems, SCADA, Drives and supporting Software. Specifically Siemens and Schneider systems
• Minimum 5 Years’ experience in a Service Delivery Role.
• Ideally within an Operational Service Environment with regular and consistent exposure to complex control system Infrastructure, Hosted Services, Support Teams, Cross Business Stakeholders
• Proven, demonstrable record of pro-active ownership and fully accountable management of Service Establishment,
• Transition plans, with proven ability to drive and influence timely and successful out-comes
• Strong working and practical understanding of ITIL processes and Operational Technology
• Experience of working within a GLOBAL organisation
• Ability to influence and lead conversations across technical and non-technical teams.
• Relationship management, an individual that has gravitas and can handle / diffuse conflict.
• Experience of Service Reporting and Service Management task administration, management of supplier services
• Strong analysis ability and problem solving skills.
• Excellent organisational and communication skills
• Ability to work within a dynamic, fast paced environment and react to short term deadlines and breakdown situations. Main accountabilities:
• Service Manage Control System Technology to the global Vessel Fleet and connected assets
• Facilitate service delivery meetings with key stakeholder department Managers
• Manage a technical team of Control System and Electrical Engineers. Hiring, Performance management, career development, skills gaps, training etc
• Ensure the team are delivering against a defined set of deliverables
• Drive the creation and execution of an overall control system technology strategy in line with industry best practice
• Propose cost saving, new technology and process improvement ideas pro-actively
• Manage the relationship with key vendors
• Build, and own, control system technical documentation and ensure this is kept up to date
• Developing functional specifications and completing full functional tests
• Supervise in house design of in PLC control systems, HMI interface, Ladder logic, software backup, planned maintenance, testing and simulations, change management
• Creation of equipment ‘control’ specifications and leading of technical negotiations with suppliers of Control System team
• Handling incident and problem solving, ensuring that issues are dealt with and escalated efficiently and senior managers receive concise
• Executive Summary
• Manage Control System Audit cycle
• Total Quality Management and Continuous Improvement
• Build and maintain internal control system support network (direct reports and technical support roles)
• Build wider ‘Control System’ network with ‘One Manufacturing’
Should this position be of interest to you, please contact us and we will be happy to discuss this role
Alan heads up the Infinity Resources business unit. Over 18 years of technical recruitment experience, supplying technical resourcing support to major oil and gas operators, epc's and service companies.
Call me now on 01224 259421 to discuss this vacancy.